Director of Marketing
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Listen, if you’re reading this, there’s a really good chance you already know what is expected from a true Director of Marketing. You essentially need to:
- Tell great stories
- Grow the brand
- Drive revenue
- Recruit, hire, and coach the marketing team
- While spending countless hours cleaning data, tweaking copy/emails/landing pages, living in spreadsheets, and finding that one dodgy Zap that broke your latest campaign’s automation….a lot of unsexy work
So, instead of filling this career description with a bunch of bullet points of what’s expected (more leads, pipeline, revenue, etc.), or what marketing channels you’ll be responsible for (we’re 100% inbound--all the usual channels), here’s ultimately what really matters to be successful in this role:
You have a deep desire to help people learn, grow, and evolve themselves, so they can solve business problems and capitalize on new opportunities through better marketing. Yes, marketing skills are important, too. But, for someone to be a successful marketing leader, your main skill is not on a tactical level or even all that strategic.
It’s being able to bring people together that have competing priorities, deadlines, and KPIs, and creating a culture of creative collaboration so we all can produce our best work.
You’ll do this by fully supporting, coaching, and helping lead the 3 main pillars of our Marketing Division: Brand, Demand, and Marketing Operations.
Of course, in addition to ideating and implementing our campaigns, projects, and initiatives that support the overall growth of our company (25% top-line revenue growth YoY).
This role has a direct impact on furthering our mission of helping everyone on earth write, publish, and market their book.
This unlocks wisdom that otherwise might have never been heard, helps reach more people, and literally makes the world a better place.
I can tell you from experience this is the most rewarding marketing role I’ve ever been in, and it’s easy to shut down your laptop every evening knowing you matter, your work matters, and you’re helping other people be seen and heard.
So, if you love living (and working) in the cross-section of coaching people, data-driven marketing, and helping people share their stories, I’d love to speak with you about working alongside me at Scribe.
Come and get it.
CMO, Scribe Media
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people—smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 2,000 authors in seven years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
And, our President and CEO was named the #1 CEO in Austin this year.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
- Austin, TX
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- Experience: Minimum 5+ years of B2B or B2C marketing experience, in any industry, agency or in-house, but MUST have a solid track record of proven results leading a team and driving results (like brand growth or scaling leads, revenue).
- Inbound Marketing to the Max: You have a holistic, but strong understanding of organic search, paid search, social media, and email and how they all work together to achieve a goal.
- Willing to Drive Results: If you like to actually get things done, this is the place for you. If you want to just be busy and engage in work theater, this is not the right place.
- Deep Desire to Improve: We have a culture that is built on everyone working hard to learn and improve and push themselves. This is very serious—if you don't care about getting better, this is the wrong place.
- Optimistic & Positive: We believe that optimism and positivity are superpowers. If you have a great attitude and your default state is in a good mood, that is a skill.
- Organized and Detail-Oriented: We’re agile and move quickly. You must be able to stay organized and keep details straight, or it messes with the rest of the division. In fact, impeccable attention to detail is so important that for the question that asks you what is your favorite animal we want you to answer "Impeccable attention to detail is my middle name.”
- Enthusiastic Learner: We will be solving new and complex problems together in this role. Our marketing strategies are multi-faceted and require lots of crucial planning, mapping, and manipulating (in a good way) technology and tools to achieve our goals. That often means we need to teach ourselves new skills by conducting research or connecting with outside experts in order to drive forward our results. The idea of learning new things with a large degree of autonomy and working outside of your comfort zone should absolutely thrill you, rather than terrify you.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $110,000
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author or Memoir Workshops from Day-1. Scribe’s Free Book Benefit can be used once every 18 months for Scribe Publishing or Guided Author, and every 36 months for Scribe Editing. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just under 100 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
- Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description. If we hire them, we'll give you a $2,000 bonus.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Unlocking the world's wisdom.